Fashion Design Foundation
Learn basic sewing skills and build in-depth knowledge in various pattern cutting techniques. Students learn body measurements and simple constructions as they progress to more complicated garments including dresses, shirts, jackets, coats, pants and overalls.
By the end of the module, students will have gained all the required base knowledge to deal with any kind of garments. Students will be well prepared for a career in the technical areas of fashion. Through practical demonstrations and hands on experience, you'll learn how pattern pieces are shaped to create a fitted garment, and how to lay out patterns ready to cut out and make up a garment with your new-found sewing skills.
Students will partake in a practical examination and project on all that’s been previously learnt and a compulsory three months internship with a renowned fashion designer, making a total of 6 months training.
- How to, use the industrial sewing machine
- How to use correctly and sew straight with all the right internationally accepted stitches
- How to sew the different types of seams
- Different types of Zips, facing, Pockets, and lining
- How to sew together a shirts, dresses, trousers and skirts
- Dart manipulation and slashing
- Grain lines, balance marks
- Using a size 12 block and own size block
- Designing and drafting patterns of various skirt
- Pattern cutting and making a samples in calico
- Sewing techniques
- Various seam constructions Pressing and finishing
- Fashion illustration